onsdag 9 maj 2012

Jungle camping and mangoes

We’re in Dominica! The nature island, with 365 rivers, one for each day, not at all known for sandy beaches, but hiking, boiling springs and rainforest. Where we are right now is so different and amazing that I am afraid to spoil it just to write about it and capture it on camera. Even if you find it cool, it’s way cooler in real life. Yeah – cool, by the way. The temperature is awesomely refreshing. We are literarily in the middle of the jungle, on the south east corner of the island. Here is our house:

IMG_3364

and the garden, with the river in the back:

IMG_3369

IMG_3277

Well, the whole area is a garden. The house is situated within a plantation, where they grow mangoes, lime, passion fruit, pineapple, bananas etc. Our house is in the area of the mango trees. And right now is mango season, meaning it is raining mangoes around us from the sky!

IMG_3282

Mango roadkill

I never imagined I would fear being hit by a mango in the head (the trees are so huge I don’t even want to think of how much they accelerate on their way down.) At night, the mangoes fall on our roof, almost giving us a heart attack. The gardeners need to keep the place clean…

IMG_3383

If you fancy a snack, just pick some!

IMG_3293

They are so juicy you can just peel them by hand and dig in…

Our kitchen is completely outside

IMG_3342

IMG_3307

Breakfast in fine surroundings

And inside it is really cosy.

IMG_3351

Notice the lack of mosquito netting? Cannot believe there are none here!

BUT – this kind of camping is not for everyone. There are wildlife, of course. With an outdoor kitchen you over consume zip-locks and have a great incentive to take care of the dishes quickly. Still you have ants in your breakfast, geckoes in your child’s bed and crickets under your bed. But that’s just part of is, isn’t it? And the colibries, parrots, cute beetles and iguanas are great neighbors.

IMG_3392

Over and out from the family with jungle fever! Loving it!

Note from the editor: I will say, that sitting outside after dark with a computer screen pouring out light, it attracts both wanted and unwanted wildlife, I was just hit by the hugest beetle I have ever seen.

Note from the editor husband: The beetle is beetle no more…

2 kommentarer:

  1. Now that looks AMAZING! Enjoy!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Ooooh all the drinks and foods and desserts that could be made of mango! RIPE mango, not the green stones one gets over here in Europe... <3

    SvaraRadera